This recipe was submitted by Sarah. To find out her inspiration and her tricks to making even better walnuts, read her blog post.
- 3 cups raw walnut halves and pieces
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- ¼ tsp Matcha
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp (or more) smoked serrano chile powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put the walnuts in a bowl and cover with water while you assemble the other ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Use a whisk to mix the sugar and spices thoroughly.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Drain the nuts into a colander and allow to drain for a couple of minutes, then mix with the sugar/spice mixture until the nuts are evenly coated with glaze.
- Spread the nuts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, and toast in preheated oven for 10 – 15 minutes. Watch closely so the nuts don’t burn. When the nuts are a deep golden brown and the glaze has lost the ‘wet’ look the nuts are ready to come out of the oven.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.