Submitted by Jennifer Hawkins-Connolly
This recipe is adapted from the Magnolia Bakery’s classic vanilla cupcake and seven minute frosting recipes. These cupcakes are delicious, and especially cute. An irresistible sampling size when prepared in miniature sized cupcake papers and baby muffin tins.
- 2 ¾ c All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. Baking powder
- 1-2 Tbsp. of Edible Green® green tea powder or Matcha green tea powder (according to taste preference)
- 1 c (2 sticks) Unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c Sugar
- 4 large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 c Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and green tea powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for standard size cupcakes (less for mini cupcakes), or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
COCONUT MERINGUE FROSTING (a twist on Seven Minute Frosting):
- 3 Egg whites
- 2 ¼ c Sugar
- ½ c Cold water
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Light corn syrup
- Dash Salt
- 1 ½ tsp. Coconut extract
- Toasted coconut for garnish (optional)
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, water, syrup, and salt in the top of a double boiler and place over rapidly boiling water.
- On the high-speed of an electric mixer, beat constantly for 6-8 minutes, or until the icing stands up in soft peaks.
- Remove from the heat, add the coconut extract, and beat about 1 minute more, or until the icing has the desired spreading consistency. Use immediately.
Yield: about 2 dozen standard size cupcakes (5 dozen mini cupcakes)